Seed Your Future offers many opportunities for you to get involved in our movement! Below are some of our committees and workgroups. Contact us to find out more and volunteer to share your expertise to help us promote horticulture and encourage more young people to pursue careers working with plants.
Download a copy of all of our Seed Your Future Volunteer Opportunities.
- Participate in the development of the education plan(s) of action.
- Provide input to the development of educational materials.
- Evaluate impact and success; suggest adjustments.
- Serve as an advocate for Seed Your Future and the promotion of horticulture. This may include talking to groups, spreading our messages through social media and other avenues, and recruiting others to serve as advocates.
- Assist in the development of outreach plans to schools (middle, high, and colleges/universities) and other appropriate educational and out-of-school-time organizations (eg. homeschooling groups, 4-H, juvenile justice programs, etc.)
- Assist in recruiting testimonials from those in the industry attesting to the value, importance, and enjoyment of their specific field of horticulture work. Collaborates with the Video Work Group on this project.
Public Relations and Marketing Committee
- Oversee development and implementation of a Marketing Plan, including identifying potential markets, their needs, how to meet those needs with products/services/programs, and how to promote/sell the programs.
- Participate in the development of a public relations plan of action, including strategies for communication with the press.
- Participate in the development of the Seed Your Future brand strategy.
- Participate in the development of materials and collateral to support the brand and initiatives.
- Provides guidance to select Work Groups (e.g., Social Media Work Group, Website Work Group, Video Work Group).
- Participate in the development of appropriate guidelines for partnerships.
- Participate in the development of lists of potential partnering organizations.
- Monitor partnerships.
Public Policy Committee
- Monitor state and federal legislation, regulations, and committee conversations and mandates associated with agriculture (specifically horticulture), education, and jobs creation. Provide recommendations to the Leadership Cabinet, Advisory Council, and Executive Director as warranted.
- Advocate for horticulture and horticultural careers at state and federal levels.
Resource Development Committee
- Participate in the development of plans for the ongoing attainment of the funds needed to pursue Seed Your Future's initiatives (e.g. crowd-sourced funding).
- Help develop lists of potential financial supporters and granting organizations.
- Participate in potential donor/grantor cultivation as appropriate.
- Help prepare information to pursue grants.
- Participate in asking for funding support as appropriate.
Youth Engagement Committee
- Assist in the development of plans of action to engage young people in horticulture as a hobby and or career.
- Help cultivate and recruit young people to assist in the work of Seed Your Future, and to serve as advocates.
Audit Work Group
- While Seed Your Future is under the fiscal agent of the American Society of Horticultural Science (and thus not subject to an annual stand-alone audit), this group will perform annual oversight and report to the Leadership Cabinet.
- Timing will be based on the fiscal year of ASHS.
Evaluation Work Group
- Once the Education and Marketing plans launch, this task group will review and provide a sound evaluation of products/services/programs; including, outcomes, goals, data, analysis and resulting adjustments.
- Make recommendations for adjustments to staff and/or the Leadership Cabinet.
Research Work Group
- Participate in developing the organization’s research agenda and strategy.
- Participate in selecting research consultants as warranted.
- Participate in developing the charge to consultants.
- Participate in assimilating the results of any research initiative.
- Make recommendations based on research findings.
Social Media Work Group
- Assist in the development of an initial social media strategy(ies) for Seed Your Future.
- Assist in the development of a content calendar.
- Assist in analyzing the reach of SYF's social media channels.
- Workgroup forms again periodically
Website Work Group
- Review the current Seed Your Future Website
- Make recommendations for improvements to the Website including ongoing content development.
- Work Group forms again periodically.
Video Work Group
- Identify young horticulturists to feature in video vignettes about their horticultural careers.
- Work with Public Relations and Marketing Committee to arrange for the recording of video vignettes.
- Review Seed Your Future promotional video and recommend update as appropriate.