Plants to the Rescue!
W.D. Sugg Middle School - Ms. Lough
With this lesson and activity, we get to explore ways plants can help solve local environmental and community challenges - and you get to brainstorm your own solution! Then, you get to enter a contest with your other W.D. Sugg Middle School classmates and have a chance to win up to a $100 gift card.
Ms. Lough will teach you about how plants are important to humans, animals, the environment - and the entire planet. She'll also teach you about how plants can be cross-bred to create better hybrid plants.
You get the chance to look at some real-life issues families have across the country. Choose the option you think will help them with their problem.
- Download the "Create Community Solutions Activity" here.
- Match the solution listed with each of the 5 problems of the student, teen, farmer, Dad and Mom.
1. Download the "Making Hybrid Connections" assignment here.
2. You will be researching four plants and recording their unique properties.
You get the opportunity to choose an issue in your own community and solve it by "mashing-up" two plants! And, you could win one of three great prizes. The Grand-prize winner will receive a $100 gift card. The Runner-up winner will receive a $50 gift card. To encourage everyone to participate, we also will randomly select one Sweepstakes winner from all entries - and they get a $25 gift card!
Download the contest entry form here. (If you are not able to download the form, look at the form online, then, get a copy from Ms. Lough.)
Submit your entry by one of the following three ways:
- Return your entry from to Ms. Lough.
- Scan your entry, and have your parent/guardian email it to the contest at [email protected]
- If you cannot scan your entry, have your parent/guardian take a picture of it with a phone and either email it to the contest at [email protected]; or text it to the contest at 484-798-5934.
Entries are due by 12:00 pm (Noon) on April 30, 2021, and winners will be announced by Ms. Lough in May.
Plants are cool! And, they are important to the health of the planet, humans and animals. People who work with plants are called horticulturists. They get the opportunity to help the world be better. There are more than 100 careers working with plants. Check them out here. And, how about a cool poster for your room? Download this free poster here.