Plants to the Rescue!
W.D. Sugg Middle School - Ms. Lough
With this lesson and activity, we get to explore ways plants can help solve local environmental and community challenges - and you get to brainstorm your own solution! Then, you get to enter a contest with your other W.D. Sugg Middle School classmates and have a chance to win up to a $100 gift card.
Ms. Lough will teach you about how plants are important to humans, animals, the environment - and the entire planet.
You get the chance to look at some real-life issues families have across the country. Choose the option you think will help them with their problem.
- Download the "Create Community Solutions Activity" here.
- Match the solution listed with each of the 5 problems of the student, teen, farmer, Dad and Mom.
You get the opportunity to choose an issue in your own community and solve it by "mashing-up" two plants! And, you could win one of three great prizes. The Grand-prize winner will receive a $100 gift card. The Runner-up winner will receive a $50 gift card. To encourage everyone to participate, we also will randomly select one Sweepstakes winner from all entries - and they get a $25 gift card!
- Download the contest entry form here. (If you are not able to download the form, look at the form online, then, using a regular 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper, draw your plant mash-up idea and write your description.)
Submit your entry by one of the following three ways:
- Scan your entry, and have your parent/guardian email it to Ms. Lough at info@SeedYourFuture.org.
- If you cannot scan your entry, have your parent/guardian take a picture of it with a phone and either email it to Ms. Lough at firstname.lastname@example.org - or text it to her 484-798-5934.
- Drop it off at the Sugg Middle School office (marked with Attention Ms. Lough) by Noon on May 22, 2020.
- Entries are due by 12:00 pm (Noon) on May 22, 2020, and winners will be announced by Ms. Lough on May 28, 2020.
Plants are cool! And, they are important to the health of the planet, humans and animals. People who work with plants are called horticulturists. They get the opportunity to help the world be better. There are more than 100 careers working with plants. Check them out here. And, how about a cool poster for your room? Download this free poster here.