Seed Your Future Communications Intern
The Seed Your Future Communications Intern will support key functions to advance the strategic plan for the movement – including creating awareness around careers in horticulture, driving engagement through the website and social media, and building the capacity of the movement. Key to the position is supporting the value proposition to intrigue the target audience with the aspirational basis for why they should care about horticulture and careers working with plants; and why they should want to learn more. This position will be integral to amplifying the horticulture message within our target audiences (tweens, their teachers and their parents), with the goal to show new and unexpected possibilities of horticulture in an eye-catching, relatable and achievable way. To learn more about the work of Seed Your Future, read about our vision and mission.
The Seed Your Future Communications Intern is an internship for the movement, provided by Longwood Gardens. The internship is based in Kennett Square, PA and will work remotely with staff and volunteers based across the country.
This is a twelve month internship, beginning May 2020 and ending in May 2021.
- Support the social media content strategy – including multiple channels (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram)
- Support the Seed Your Future BLOG.
- Support the digital influencers strategy for the BLOOM! Campaign of Seed Your Future.
- Maintain the Seed Your Future website and BLOOM! Microsite.
- Support the Seed Your Future Partnerships program.
- Assist with the Earned Media Strategy of Seed Your Future.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related field, preferred.
- Some coursework in plant-related classes helpful but not required.
- Some coursework in association management helpful but not required.
Baseline Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Good knowledge of social media channel utilization, impact tracking, and reporting. Including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat.
- Good project management skills.
- Good knowledge of the following technologies:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Word Press
- Adobe Suite
- Proficiency in Spanish is desirable, but not required.
- Must pass a drug test and criminal background check.
- The opportunity to be intimately involved with the movement to promote horticulture and inspire people to pursue careers in horticulture. You'll meet with leaders in the horticulture industry across the country.
- Free furnished housing on the grounds of Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA. This is a taxable benefit; all utilities are included except cable television. Students can purchase cable television and pay for it individually if desired.
- Interns receive a taxable stipend of $10.00 per hour, with a typical work week of 40 hours.
- Two complimentary admission tickets to Longwood Gardens for every month of work.
- Access to the Longwood Gardens library, a great resource for research on horticulture and related topics.
- Discounted enrollment in all Longwood Gardens Continuing Education courses and lectures.
- Discounts in The Terrace and The GardenShop.
- Free admittance to many local gardens and museums.
Completed applications must be received by February 1, 2020. Apply through the Longwood Gardens website.