A plant breeder works in a controlled environment conducting tests on different types of plants, to develop useful traits, such as disease resistance, appearance and drought tolerance.
The minimum education requirement is a Bachelor's degree. For advanced positions, additional degrees will be required.
WHERE TO STUDY
For 2- and 4-year college and university programs across the country, visit our Where to Study page.
In September 2019, the median yearly salary for a plant breeder was $72,144*, according to Salary.com. For more information, visit Study.com's Plant Breeder Profile.
*The salary estimate includes salaries requiring advanced degrees.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- American Society for Horticultural Science
- American Society of Plant Scientists
- Crop Science Society of America
- International Plant Propagators' Society
- National Association of Plant Breeders
VIDEOS AND TESTIMONIALS
Find out why these plant breeders love their job.