A chef creates and prepares meals for human consumption. Generally, they work in a business environment.
Training requires at least a high school diploma, certification, or attendance at a culinary school.
WHERE TO STUDY
For 2- and 4-year college and university programs across the country, visit our Where to Study page.
In September 2019, the median yearly salary for a chef was $47,167, according to Salary.com. For more information, visit Study.com's Chef Profile.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- American Culinary Federation
- American Personal & Private Chef Association
- Cook Concern
- International Corporate Chefs Association
- Research Chefs Association
- United States Personal Chef Association
- World Association of Chefs Societies
VIDEOS AND TESTIMONIALS
Learn why Rory Moran of Comfort Kitchen chose to become a chef.