Here at Seed Your Future, we envision a world where everyone understands and values the importance of plants and the people who work in the art, science, technology, and business of horticulture. To help us reach our goal, we're proclaiming 2020 the "Year of the Plant"!
Our country is currently plant-challenged. There has been a decline in interest in plants and in pursuing careers in horticulture. This has caused many challenges including: low appreciation for how plants impact the world; declining college, university and certification program enrollment in horticulture; and plant blindness (the inability to see or notice the plants in one's own environment, leading to the inability to recognize the importance of plants in the biosphere and in human affairs). We are also challenged by negative stereotypes about careers working with plants.
We're working on turning the plant-challenged around, and inspiring more people to know the wonder and power of plants and the joy of plant careers!
Will you join us?
Here's a few ideas to get you started:
- Show the youth in your life the wonder and power of plants by teaching them to grow their own plants.
- For the entire year, for holidays, birthdays and anniversaries, give gifts of plants.
- Declare your office a plant-zone. Fill it with easy care plants and enjoy the positive benefits plants can have on you and your co-workers.
- Encourage a young person to consider pursuing a career working with plants. Show them our horticulture career exploration tool.
- Share your plant-passion by volunteering at your local community garden, youth organization, public garden, school, camp, garden club, nature center or park.
- Plant, tend, and harvest your own garden.
- Donate to the Seed Your Future movement so we can continue to promote horticulture and inspire more people to pursue careers working with plants.
- Make houseplants the focus of the interior design of your home.
- Support local growers and farmers by purchasing flowers, fruits, vegetables and other plants from them.
- Take the pledge from Seed Your Future and declare 2020 your Year of the Plant.
Have some cool ideas of how to make 2020 the Year of the Plant? Tell us about them and we might share them here.